Friday, May 3, 2013

Grilled Steak and Chicken Fajitas


I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the fact that Cinco de Mayo is coming up this weekend. Although it isn't a holiday we really celebrate, I am always looking for an excuse to eat Mexican food and drink Mexican drinks. These fajitas are a great way to celebrate both the holiday, and the fact that grilling season has returned.

I was initially going to just make chicken fajitas, but then I remembered the box of steaks in my freezer and decided to do both. (Remind me to tell you sometime about the poor steak salesman who came to my house around dinner time on a night of solo parenting, who was bombarded with questions from my curious children for 30 minutes, who finally gave in and sold me 12 total sirloin and T-bone steaks for dirt cheap, I think just so he could escape my house.) I made two different marinades for the meat: a Southwestern ranch marinade for the chicken and a chipotle brown sugar one for the steak, so you're really getting two recipes for the price of one here. And they're both absolutely delicious!

Grilled Steak and Chicken Fajitas

For the chicken:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ranch dressing
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, and salt

For the steak:

2 sirloin steaks (or you could use a flank steak)
1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove minced garlic
3 tablespoons chipotle in adobo puree (or the equivalent of chopped chipotles in adobo)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

For the fajitas:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 each red, green, and orange bell peppers, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Mexican beer
Juice of half a lime
Flour tortillas
Shredded monterey jack, salsa, and sour cream for serving

1. Combine all ingredients for both marinades with the meats. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Let come to room temperature before grilling.

2. Grill chicken and steak until chicken is cooked through and steak is cooked to desired doneness. Let rest before slicing.

3. While the meat is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and peppers are slightly softened. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium and add beer, stirring until reduced. Remove from heat and sprinkle with lime juice.

4. Serve chicken and steak in flour tortillas, topped with the pepper mixture, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I ADORE Mexican food. I could eat it every night so thank you for sharing a new one with me!