Monday, February 25, 2013

Jalapeno Popper Breakfast Scramble


I love making (and eating!) breakfast foods, but since our breakfasts during the week are usually so quick, and the boys always ask for doughnuts or pancakes on the weekends, I don't always get to try new recipes as much as I'd like. But when this idea popped into my head, I knew I had to make it as soon as humanly possible -- for breakfast, for brinner, I didn't care; I just knew I needed to have it.

OMG, you guys, just: OMG. This breakfast scramble was indescribably delicious and turned out exactly like I was hoping. It had all the flavor of a jalapeno popper, with the addition of crispy, salty hash browns. Mixing the cream cheese into the scrambled eggs gave them such a creamy, velvety texture, and the contrast with the crisp bacon and potatoes was just perfect. You could easily cut the amount of cream cheese in half, but I used the full 8 ounces because I didn't want half a brick sitting around in my refrigerator. Joe raved and raved about this. I even took the leftovers for lunch the next day, and I was so suprised by how well they held up.

Those of you who share my jalapeno popper obsession are going to love this recipe; and, for those of you who don't share that obsession...Well, I think this just might sway you.

Jalapeno Popper Breakfast Scramble

1 pound bacon, chopped
2 jalapenos, finely diced
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cups shredded frozen hash brown potatoes
8 eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a triple cheddar blend)

1. Cook bacon to desired crispness in a large skillet. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Add jalapenos and cook until just softened, then place the jalapenos in a large bowl.

2. Heat the canola oil in another large skillet. Add hash browns in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and let them get crispy. After they're crispy, flip them over to let the other side brown.

3. Add the eggs, cream cheese, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper to the reserved jalapenos and scramble. The cream cheese will still be in chunks in the eggs, but that's fine.

4. Pour the scrambled egg mixture over the hashbrowns, add reserved bacon, and mix it all together until the eggs are cooked. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and cover to let it melt. Serve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brian would LOVE this, going to have to make it one of these days.