Monday, October 1, 2012

Pesto Chicken Crescent Pockets


When I first saw this recipe, I'm not too proud to admit that I squealed with joy. You know how much I love stuffing things inside crescent rolls, right? I think this fact is fairly obvious if you've read this blog for any length of time. It should also be apparent by now how much I love pesto, so a recipe combining those two things was right up my alley.

These remind me a lot of the chicken pillows I made last year, but in this case, the crescent rolls are coated with crushed croutons rather than breadcrumbs. I loved the crushed croutons, because they made the coating so crunchy. I didn't serve these with a sauce (the filling is creamy enough) but you could always warm up some marinara if you wanted to. I kept the filling pretty simple (just pesto, chicken, cream cheese, mozzarella, and seasonings), but artichokes or sun-dried tomatoes would be great additions if you're so inclined. These are simple, delicious, and flavorful, and customizable in a bunch of different ways. I'll definitely be making them again.

Pesto Chicken Crescent Pockets
adapted from Chew Nibble Nosh

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2 packages refrigerated crescent rolls
1 1/2 cups croutons, any variety, crushed
1 stick butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, pesto, chicken, shredded mozzarella, and salt and pepper to taste.

3. Unroll the tubes of crescent roll dough and separate into 8 rectangles, pressing the perforated seams to seal in the middle. Spoon some of the chicken mixture into the middle of each rectangle.

4. Bring up the corners of the dough over the scoop of chicken, pressing to seal. Press to seal the seams on the sides of the bundle as well.

5. Dip each bundle in butter, then dredge them in the crushed croutons. Place them on a nonstick cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another recipe I can't wait to make! Is it dinner time yet??

Anonymous said...

Did you know Pillsbury makes cresent rolls without the perforations? It is just a big sheet of cresenty goodness and perfect for these types of recipes!