Thursday, October 11, 2012

Broccoli with Cajun Garlic Butter



I know I promised you this recipe yesterday, and I didn't deliver. And I know that you kept refreshing the site all day, waiting for this broccoli recipe, getting angrier and angrier when it didn't appear. Because I know that vegetable side dishes are just that important to you.

I'm kidding of course. I doubt broccoli is that important to you. I mean, broccoli is broccoli is broccoli, right? I'm constantly on the look-out for new vegetable recipes, though, because simple steamed veggies can obviously get a bit boring after a while. My boys could eat steamed vegetables with a little bit of butter and salt every single day, but sometimes Joe and I need a little bit more flavor.

I think the method that I used for this broccoli is a real winner, and that it will work with all kinds of seasoning blends and many different vegetables. This method uses basic steamed broccoli, but when the broccoli is finished steaming, it's coated with a combination of melted butter, garlic, and Cajun seasoning. You could change up the seasoning blend by using any dried herb, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, lemon pepper...the list goes on and on. It adds a ton of flavor to a simple steamed vegetable, taking it from ordinary to extraordinary!

Broccoli with Cajun Garlic Butter

1 bag frozen steam-in-a-bag broccoli (or 2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets and steamed without salt)
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning

1. While the broccoli is steaming, heat the butter in a small skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and continue to cook over low heat until fragrant. Add the Cajun seasoning and stir until it's fully incorporated.

2. Place the broccoli in a large bowl and pour the warm butter mixture over it, tossing gently to combine. Serve immediately.

No comments: