Monday, July 9, 2012

Tex-Mex White Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti


We're getting to that point in the summer where I just want to laze around in the air conditioning and not do anything -- including move. I usually don't get to this point until August, but with the sizzling temperatures we've been having lately, I'm getting that feeling earlier than usual. I'm sorry, Weather Overlords, but 104 degrees is JUST TOO HOT OMG. Thankfully, the weather is "cooling down" to the upper 80s this week, so I'm looking forward to not sweating the instant I walk outside my door for a change.

Even though it's settling back to normal summer temperatures, though, I still don't really want to turn on my oven. That's where this chicken spaghetti comes in. Unlike other versions of chicken spaghetti that bake in the oven, this version is made entirely on the stovetop. And it's ready in the time it takes for the pasta to boil, so you won't be slaving over a hot oven for hours. Best of all, it's absolutely delicious: creamy and cheesy, with a nice bite. It was delicious as leftovers the next day, too!

Tex-Mex White Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti
adapted from Lauren's Latest

3/4 pound thin whole wheat spaghetti
3 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
8 ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese
1 10-ounce can Rotel, undrained
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
Cilantro, if desired

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook spaghetti to al dente and drain.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. 

3. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure that the flour is fully combined. Slowly whisk in chicken broth, milk, and sour cream. Increase heat to thicken sauce.

4. Sprinkle in grated cheese and stir continuously to melt into sauce evenly. Stir in Rotel, cumin, salt and pepper, chicken, and cooked spaghetti. Toss to coat everything evenly in sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve warm, sprinkling each serving with cilantro if desired.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I've never seen a chicken spaghetti that doesn't call for a bunch of canned cream of something or a big block of velveeta cheese. I think we'll be giving this a try!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I've had my eye on this one for awhile. Happy to hear it was good. :)

Taylor said...

I'm all about meals that come together quickly when it's way too hot to stand over the stove for a long period of time! This looks delicious!!