Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Farfalle with Bacon, Onions and Gouda


My husband has a new favorite cheese. It used to be Muenster, but after these burgers introduced him to gouda, there was no going back. We always, always have gouda on hand for his sandwiches (and, thankfully, I can always find it for pretty cheap at one of my very favorite places to shop).

Recently, when I was feeling uninspired to meal plan, I was going through a folder of saved recipes on my computer and stumbled across this gem. I knew that not only would Joe love it, but that the kids and I would love it too. And, not surprisingly, we did. The onion, gouda, and bacon all complement each other perfectly with a great balance of flavors. The onions are slightly sweet, the gouda is deliciously creamy, and the bacon is crispy, smoky and salty. I served the pasta with a side of steamed broccoli, and it was a delicious dinner that came together really fast.

As Joe said, “That’s some goud-a pasta.” He’s corny. It’s one of the reasons I love him.

Farfalle with Bacon, Onions and Gouda
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

1 pound bow tie pasta
7 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded gouda cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel to absorb some of the drippings. Drain all but one tablespoon of bacon drippings.

3. Add butter to the remaining bacon drippings. Add onion and sauté until tender.

4. Add cream to the pan. Let simmer on low heat for a few minutes, until the cream sauce begins to reduce and thicken. Stir in the reserved bacon and the gouda. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Add the pasta to the skillet, and stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated and the pasta is coated with the sauce. Serve warm.

9 comments:

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife said...

O.M.G. I want this right now.

Casey said...

Interesting that we just discovered how good Gouda is and I use it in so many recipes.

It must be great in this recipe.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Looks awesome. I don't know if I've ever had gouda...will need to check it out soon. :)

Natalie said...

I didn't realize Aldi has Gouda!! I have to check and see if mine carries it, thanks for the heads up :)

Monica H said...

He's not corny, he's cheesy! haha!

Carrie said...

I made this using smoked gouda YUM!

Stephanie said...

Made this for dinner tonight as I had some gouda to use up. It was easy and tasty! I think I had dinner on the table within 20 minutes and everyone enjoyed it. Great weeknight meal! Thanks for sharing!

ginalovesdave said...

Found your site from another and tried your recipe tonight. It was DELICIOUS.

Believe it, Injury Lawyer San Antonio said...

Oh my goodness, this looks amazing! I can't wait to try this recipe, my mouth is watering already! :D