Thursday, September 22, 2011

Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese


I’ll be the first to admit that I love me some Velveeta. It’s great in casseroles and dips and, of course, macaroni and cheese. It just has that creamy texture that no other cheese can match…that is, until now. This recipe for macaroni and cheese tastes even better than a version made with Velveeta, and it’s every bit as creamy. When I saw the rave reviews that Jessica gave it, I knew I had to try it. She’s from Ohio; I trust her judgment completely! ;)

I’d honestly never seen a version of mac and cheese made like this before. And I’ve made lots of mac and cheese. It’s made with two eggs (think carbonara, but minus the bacon, although bacon would be delicious in this), which, in combination with evaporated milk, serve to give it that super creamy, luxurious, silky texture. This comes together very quickly, and you won’t believe how delicious it is.

One word of warning: The longer you let this sit, the less creamy it’ll become. So serve it immediately. Once you make it, you’ll want to eat it once a week (or even more often, in my case).

Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from Sunny Side Up in San Diego

16 ounces cavatappi or other short pasta
2 tablespoons butter
12-ounce can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
Salt to taste

1. Boil pasta 1 to 2 minutes short of the suggested time on the box. In the meantime, combine the evaporated milk, eggs, mustard powder, and pepper in a large measuring cup and whisk together.

2. Drain the pasta in a colander and then return it right back to the hot pan. Reduce heat to low. Add the butter and stir until melted.

3. Carefully add the egg mixture to the pan, stirring constantly to avoid making scrambled eggs. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Add the cheese in 4 to 5 increments, making sure that each addition is completely melted before adding the next. Taste for seasoning and add salt to taste. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I was actually surprised how much I wasn't a big fan of this one. I think it was too much mustard for me or something? The eggs also made E's face break out, so that was a bummer. I'll be trying a different mac & cheese recipe very soon!