Thursday, August 12, 2010

Guest Post : Amanda's Cinnamon Roll Muffins

Today's post is from Amanda over at Fake Ginger. I'm pretty new to her blog, but as soon as she e-mailed me last weekend, I spent about an hour going through her archives. She makes really beautiful, drool-worthy food, and I'm so honored that she offered to guest post for me! I will be making these muffins myself, and soon. Thanks again, Amanda!

I am so excited and honored to be doing a guest post here at Cassie Craves. I hope you brought your appetites because I've got some delicious cinnamon roll muffins to share today.

If you are familiar with my blog, Fake Ginger, you probably know that I love sweet breakfast rolls. I’ve made cinnamon rolls a billion times and thought it was about time
to make them into muffins. These guys aren’t yeasted like the traditional cinnamon roll but they pack just as much flavor and decadence and would be perfect on any breakfast or brunch table.

I will admit that these are a bit more trouble than cinnamon rolls. You have to make sure you add enough flour so your dough won’t stick when you try to roll, but if you add too much you’ll end up with muffins that are way too dense. As long as you can manage that though, they are a good way to have the cinnamon roll taste without a long rise time of the traditional rolls.


Rolled Cinnamon Roll Muffins
from A Dash of Sass

Makes 1 dozen muffins

1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar added to it (or 1 cup buttermilk)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour

Filling:
2 TBL butter, room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp milk or cream

Directions:

- Pour milk into a measuring cup and add the lemon juice or vinegar. (Skip this step if you are using buttermilk.)
- Measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the milk. Add the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch by 24-inch rectangle. Spread with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into a log beginning at the wide side. Stretch the log slightly. Cut into two-inch pieces and put the pieces into greased muffin tins or muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake at 375° Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes and then remove from the muffin tins.
- Drizzle with icing (if using) when cool.


5 comments:

Natalie said...

I love Amanda's blog and these look absolutely delish! I hope I have time to make them this weekend :)

Sherry G said...

These sound like great results with less work! Looks yummy=)

Debbie said...

Oh these are perfect for me to try since I don't like working with yeast. Thanks for this great recipe!!!

Keri said...

These look amazing! Thanks for the recipe, Amanda!

Sonya said...

Cassie if you havent made these..YOU NEED TO! I made them this morning and they were fantastic! Thanks for having Fake Ginger as a guest blogger and thanks to Fake Ginger for a wonderful recipe!