Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturdays with Rachael Ray: Sticky Peanut Butter and Jelly Wings

Maybe the title of this week's Saturdays with Rachael Ray recipe has you feeling dubious. Maybe you're feeling skeptical about how well the flavors of peanut butter and jelly go with chicken wings. It's understandable. My husband was unsure about these too. But then he tried them, and he couldn't get enough. I mean that literally; we ran out of wings before he was full.

Peanut butter and jelly are no strangers to savory dishes. Peanut butter is often found in Thai-style pasta sauces (and in one of our favorite dishes at the Chinese buffet, peanut butter chicken), and grape jelly is one of stars in those famous three-ingredient cocktail meatballs. And when you combine the two ingredients in a spicy, tangy, sweet-nutty sauce, the results are out of this world. We all really, really loved these.

I used chicken drummettes, and I did have to broil mine for a couple of minutes to get 'em crispy, but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. Give these a try! I think you'll really like them.

Sticky Peanut Butter and Jelly Wings
source: slightly adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray, February 2009

1 10-ounce jar grape jelly
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Salt
24 chicken drummettes

1. In a bowl, whisk together the jelly, peanut butter, vinegar, hot sauce and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the wings on a greased rack set on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Turn, baste with the pan juices and bake until browned, about 20 minutes more. Broil for a few minutes if needed.


Print

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'll have to sneak this in on my husband sometime. He gets antsy any time I talk about doing anything to wings other than deep frying, but I think they come out great in the oven. And these flavors sounds dynamite together!

Unknown said...

i did read the title and think ummm weird but maybe we will try them one day!

Deborah said...

I totally need to try this. My husband isn't a fan of peanut butter in savory dishes, but I think I could get away with it with this recipe!