Thursday, July 1, 2010

Empty-the-Pantry Taco Soup

I know, I know, you’re like, “Soup? On the first day of July? [Side note: Can you believe it’s July already?] Is she crazy?”

Well, here’s the thing. Yes, I may be a little crazy, but I love soup year-round. Especially a soup like this that can be thrown together in five minutes and tossed in the Crock pot to cook all day. That means I get to come home to a delicious meal that I didn't have to put any effort into, and also one that doesn’t heat up my kitchen to 100 degrees. And this soup? It tastes like a taco. Seriously, you just can’t go wrong with this combination of ingredients.

This soup is absolutely delicious, and easily customizable to whatever you have on hand. Use creamed corn instead of whole kernel, which would probably give the soup great texture. Use chili-ready tomatoes instead of plain old diced tomatoes to bump up the chili flavor. Use black beans instead of pinto beans (I did). Use any toppings you want. I promise, you really just can’t go wrong with this flavor profile. It’s good in any season!

Empty-the-Pantry Taco Soup
source: adapted from Krista’s Kitchen

1 pound ground sirloin

1 chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
1 can green chilies, undrained
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
4 cups beef broth
Shredded cheese
Sour cream
Crushed tortilla chips

1. Cook the ground sirloin and onion in a skillet until beef is browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Stir in the ranch dressing and taco seasoning packets and cook and stir for another minute.

2. Transfer to slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes, green chilies, beef broth, chili beans, black beans, and corn. Cook for 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.

3. Top each serving with a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, and any other taco toppings you like.

3 comments:

Keri said...

I loooove tacos, so this soup is right up my alley. I can't wait to try it!

Cara said...

I have a recipe very similar to this that I've been making for years...I actually made it tonight for dinner, in an attempt to clean out the pantry and freezer. Love this dish, even in the summer!

Julie said...

It must be 105 here and I'd sure love a bowl of this!