Monday, June 14, 2010

Creamy Peas with Bacon

Lately I’ve been trying to do more interesting things with vegetables than steam them or roast them for a side dish, so when I came across this recipe I knew I wanted to try it. We all absolutely loved this, and actually, the peas outshone the chicken that I served them with. I mean, come on: peas, onions and bacon cooked together in a creamy, tangy, flavorful sauce? What’s not to love?

It’s a pretty decadent side dish, not something we should eat every week (even though I really want to, and Joe has already begged me to make this again soon, and Andrew is constantly asking for “More peas, peese,” and Will was practically lunging from his Bumbo seat to try to get a taste), but it’s a nice change of pace from my usual boring side dishes.

Creamy Peas with Bacon
source: adapted from The Hungry Housewife

6 pieces of bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken stock
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 bag frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Pre-heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and sauté until crispy.

2. Add the onions to the skillet and cook until they begin to soften.

3. Add the butter and stir until melted. Reduce heat to medium. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken stock and stir until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Add cream cheese and stir until incorporated.

4. Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

2 comments:

Keri said...

Oh wow, that sounds deliciously decadent! I can't wait to try this dish-- and I'm betting Hadley will love it, too:-)!

Deborah said...

Yeah, I think I could eat this as a main dish and be quite happy!!