Friday, April 30, 2010

Banana Berry Muffins

Let it be known: I love these muffins. I love them so much that I sort of think I should make a batch of them every single weekend, so that I can have one for breakfast on my way to work every day, and then another one for an evening snack each night. All I was really looking for was a way to use up the bag of frozen blackberries I’d had in my freezer for about a year. I had no idea how much I’d like the muffins that resulted.

You can use any berries you like for these. I made a second batch a few days later (yes; the first batch only lasted a couple of days, I KNOW) using strawberries, which were just as delicious. Raspberries and blueberries, or a combination of a few types of berries, would also be great. This recipe makes an incredibly moist muffin, and when eaten warm with a bit of butter melted over the top? Well, that’s pretty much my definition of paradise.



Banana Berry Muffins
source: adapted from iChef

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 overripe bananas
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pint fresh berries (or 1 12-ounce bag frozen berries)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. Cream butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs.

4. Puree bananas, sour cream and vanilla.

5. Alternately add dry ingredients in 3 additions and banana mixture in 2 additions to the egg mixture. Beat enough to incorporate. Fold in berries.

6. Spoon into greased or lined muffin tins and bake for about 25 minutes, or until puffed, browned and springy. Makes about 15 muffins.

9 comments:

Monica H said...

Bananas and berries sound perfect for breakfast. These are really pretty and they look tasty too!

Allison said...

Wait, let me wipe the drool off my keyboard....

I made banana bread last weekend and it was wonderful...this sounds like a great project for this weekend.

Oh, and did you see the blackberries are on sale at Kroger this week for $1? You could buy and freeze (which is my plan) :)

Donna-FFW said...

Love the combo of the blueberries and bananas .. hope all is well Cassie, missed reading you during my hiatus..

Anonymous said...

Cassie,

Do you thaw the berries if frozen? Or just fold them in frozen? Thanks!

Cassie Winters

Deborah said...

I have been on a total muffin kick lately - and I have some frozen berries in the freezer!

Cassie said...

Hi Cassie!

No need to thaw the berries -- I used frozen both times and just folded them in frozen. They turned out just fine!

love-up-you said...

Diese Ringe werden auch als Quadrat Smaragdschliff thomas sabo charm oder Kissen schneiden bekannt. Und das stilvolle Merkmal dieser Schnitt ist die quadratische Form mit thomas sabo charm club anhänger Ecken schneiden wie ein Achteck. Aber vor dem Kauf Asscher Diamanten Ring müssen Sie berücksichtigen, dass der Diamant sollte angebote thomas sabo anhänger der höheren Farbe und Klarheit zu halten, weil der Schliff des Diamanten bedeutet, dass alle thomas sabo charm Mängel, die sichtbar sind, können auch gut sichtbar auf dem bloßen Auge. Daher Asscher Diamanten kann teuer im Vergleich zu sabo charms anderen Diamanten von der gleichen Karat.

Anonymous said...

When you will decide to own jewelry pandora beads for mom you will want to remember what your pandora bead mom really needs. If she's got help brimming with rings, then pandora bracelet sale obtaining a ring that she may well for no pandora sale reason wear would not be excellent.A part pandora sale online through buying Jewellery from a standard necklaces pandora shop retailer, jewellery can certainly be bought from online pandora 2010 stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you're able to notice anything the particular offers, whereby a cheap panadora store it is hard to kind though their particular inventory to find the right pandora jewery thing. Mothers love gifts which might be memorable. Try to present your mom using a surprise that has pandora jewerelly been personalized, for instance a ring making use of their name engraved in it.

Quotiney said...

Getting a romantic good night message from loved one can create the fantasy like fairy story and entire night fantastic.
wedding anniversary message for son and daughter in law
https://www.quotiney.com