Monday, February 22, 2010

Vegetable Lasagna

First, I have to apologize for the terrible picture of this lasagna. I know it looks like a hot mess. Please don't let the photo deter you from trying this, because it really is delicious!

Years ago when Joe and I first moved in together, I didn't cook all that much. We basically lived on pizza rolls, Manwich, and frozen vegetable lasagna for the first year of our cohabitation. Looking back on it now, it sort of makes me sick to think about all the money we wasted on processed foods.

Anyway, processed or not, we really, really loved that frozen vegetable lasagna. I can't remember the brand now, but I remember that what appealed to us was that it was made with a white sauce, not a tomato-based one. It was a nice change from a typical tomato-y lasagna. When I saw this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website a while ago, it instantly reminded me of that frozen lasagna we used to enjoy so much, and I couldn't wait to try it. It took me awhile to get around to making it, but now that I have, I know it's going to make many repeat appearances in our kitchen.

This tastes exactly like I'd hoped it would: rich and creamy and hearty and filling. I usually don't make a recipe I've never tried before for guests, but Joe's grandparents ended up coming for dinner at the last minute the night I made this, and they raved about it too. His grandma even asked for the recipe, and like most grandmas she is a very good cook, so that made me feel pretty good. I don't know if I can give this lasagna a higher recommendation than that!

Vegetable Lasagna
source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

12 no-boil lasagna noodles
2 eggs, beaten

1
15-ounce carton plus 2 cups ricotta cheese
2
teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
2
cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1
cup chopped onion (1 large)
1 medium zucchini, sliced into half-moons

4
cloves garlic, minced
2
tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
2
tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2
to 1 teaspoon black pepper
2
cups milk
1
10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
1
10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and thoroughly drained
1
cup shredded carrot
3/4
cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 cups
shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)

1. In a medium bowl combine eggs, ricotta cheese, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.

2. In a large skillet cook mushrooms, onion, zucchini and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in the flour and pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, broccoli, carrot, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.

3. To assemble, in a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish, layer a small amount of the vegetable mixture; top with one-third of the noodles. Spread with one-third of the ricotta cheese mixture, then one-third of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers twice. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks out of this world good. I love vegetable lasagna and have never made my own. I like the you can use the no boil noodles for this! I think I will give it a try...

Cara said...

What a great vegetarian dish for my meat-loving family!! I've never made my own vegetable lasagna before. Also, I can't help but think of Seinfeld every time I read/hear "Vegetable Lasagna." Please tell me I'm not the only one....

Deborah said...

I love vegetable lasagna, and this one really does sound delicious!