Monday, February 8, 2010

Texas Fudge Cake

When I saw this recipe on Lynn's site, I bookmarked it to make immediately. But then I got distracted by a certain little eight-pound someone, and I forgot all about it. And then Debbie made it and reminded me how good it looked, so I got my act together and baked it up for us to enjoy on Super Bowl Sunday.

Let me tell you, this is one delicious cake. It's moist and perfectly chocolaty, and the frosting? It is to die for. I'll echo what both Lynn and Debbie said about this cake -- the best thing about it is that it only calls for ingredients that most people are bound to have on hand. That is both wonderful and dangerous for me, because it means that I may very well be tempted to make this cake once a week. This will definitely be my go-to chocolate cake from now on. And I actually just had a piece of it right before I started typing this, so I can confirm that it tastes just as good (if not better!) the next day. Yum!

Texas Fudge Cake

source: Cookie Baker Lynn

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups sifted flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 batch frosting (recipe follows)


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 metal pan.


2. In a medium saucepan combine the butter, cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil.


3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.


4. Pour the hot ingredients into the the dry ingredients. Stir well with a wooden spoon.


5. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir until the batter is smooth.


6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place it in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.


7. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool. Immediately make the frosting and pour the frosting over the warm cake. Spread the frosting evenly and let the cake cool before serving.


Frosting


1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons cocoa
Dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar


1. In a medium saucepan combine the butter, milk, cocoa, salt, and vanilla. Bring to a boil.


2. Place the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Pour the hot ingredients over the powdered sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until the frosting is smooth.

7 comments:

dining room table said...

The only difference is the name. I like it so much and I am imagining how moist it is.

Katie said...

I could kick myself right now for using up the last of my eggs on Saturday. Now I must wait for this horrible snow to go away before I can venture back out and get some to make this heavenly looking cake.

Sonya said...

Oh man this just looks so yummie..lol I dont have a meatal pan..wat happens if u dont use one??

Cassie said...

LOL, Sonya, probably nothing! Give it a shot!

Hitchcock Butterfield said...

Wow! It looks so yummy! I Love fudge cake.

Carlita said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!! This is the most delicious, totally addictive chocolate cake ever, and I have been looking everywhere for it. You are an angel for posting it :)
Blessings to you and yours~

Stephanie said...

Did you keep this in the fridge or on the counter after you made it? I am making it now for Easter tomorrow and REALLY have no fridge space, so I am hoping you kept it out lol!