Monday, November 23, 2009

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

Be forewarned: These cookies are incredibly addictive. If you're anything like me, you'll find yourself eating three, four, five of them without even realizing it. Just be sure you have a glass of milk handy, because this is a cooke that's just begging to be dunked.

We really loved these cookies. I usually substitute butter for shortening whenever it's called for in a recipe, but at the suggestion of some of the recipe reviewers I went ahead and used the shortening. And I'm glad I did; it made these cookies delightfully crispy. I also made the cookies a little more special by using Peanut Butter & Co. cinnamon raisin swirl peanut butter, which added a lot of wonderful flavor. I definitely recommend trying some type of specialty peanut butter in this recipe. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing about these cookies, and I will be making them frequently.

And just a quick content-related note: Tomorrow and Wednesday I'll be featuring a couple of Thanksgiving-related recipes, so stay tuned. My 300th post is scheduled to occur on Thanksgiving Day, so in honor of that occasion I'll be hosting my first-ever give-away on Friday. Be sure to check back for that!

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
source: Allrecipes

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co. cinnamon raisin swirl)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking oats

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the oats until just combined. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until just light brown. Cool and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Im so bookmarking these..however Im going to have to use all butter..I cant get shortening here! well thats not true..I can get it in a 2 cup form and it costs almost 10 american dollars!!

Oooh a giveaway:)

Donna-FFW said...

Next on my list, oatmeal/peanut butter, MMMMM!