Friday, October 2, 2009

Mexican Corn Bread

One of the main complaints I always hear about corn bread is that it's just too dry. In fact, it's one of the main complaints I've always had about corn bread I've eaten at restaurants and potlucks. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but this is the second time I've made corn bread at home, and it's the second time my corn bread has come out perfectly moist and not dry at all. I think this has very little to do with my cooking skills, and everything to do with the ingredients involved.

In any case, this is a delicious corn bread. I elected to leave the jalapeno out of mine to make it milder, but the green chiles still gave it a nice bite. The sour cream provided the moistness, and it also added a nice, tangy flavor. This was the perfect accompaniment to last night's chili, and I’m very happy there are leftovers to warm up for lunch today. I halved the recipe, but just click the link to see the original.

Mexican Corn Bread
source: adapted from Allrecipes

1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread/muffin mix
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cream-style corn
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1. In a bowl, combine corn bread mix and onion. Combine the remaining ingredients; add to the corn bread mixture just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8 x 8-inch baking dish.


2. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned and the edges pull away from sides of pan. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes 9 servings.

1 comment:

Donna-FFW said...

This will be my side dish the next time I make tacos, sounds delicious!!