Monday, October 19, 2009

Garlic and Cheese Orzo

There's nothing particularly fancy about this pasta -- it's just a delicious, simple, and quick side dish. It's something I'll definitely be turning to in the future as a side for all kinds of things.

I have a habit of reading a recipe through once and then making it without looking at the recipe again -- even if it's something I've never made before. That's what I did this time, and for some reason I got it in my head that this pasta was supposed to have onions in it. The original recipe doesn't call for them, but I'm actually really glad I added them. I thought they added a nice sweetness to the dish and worked really well with the cheese and garlic.

We did have some leftovers that I knew Joe and I wouldn't eat, so I mixed the pasta with some broccoli and sent it for Andrew's lunch at daycare the next day, which he really enjoyed. I usually suck at side dishes and lately I've been making an effort to change this. This one was definitely a hit with the whole family.

Garlic and Cheese Orzo
source: adapted from Rachael Ray

Salt
1/2 pound orzo
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Ground black pepper

1. Fill a large pot with water and place over high heat to boil the pasta. When the water reaches a bubble, season it with salt and drop the pasta. Cook to al dente according to package directions then drain and reserve.

2. When the pasta is ready, place a large skillet over medium heat with the butter. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until aromatic and tender. Add the cooked pasta, cheese and parsley to the pan, season with pepper and toss to thoroughly combine.

No comments: