Friday, July 3, 2009

Burger and Fries Friday: Jerk Pork Cheeseburgers with Green Apple Slaw

I almost didn't make this burger this week. I almost scrapped my burger plans and went with an All-American version of a burger instead, in celebration of the Fourth of July. But this burger just sounded too good to scrap, or even to postpone for a week, so I stuck with it. And boy, am I ever glad I did!

This burger was a real hit in our house. It was almost too delicious for words. I've liked all the new burgers I've made so far since I started the Burger and Fries Friday feature, but this one was definitely the best. The real star was the green apple slaw, which had the perfect balance of tart and sweet and spicy, and which worked so well with the bacon and cheddar cheese on the burger. Yum, yum, yum. The only change I made to the recipe was using regular cheddar cheese rather than smoked, since that's what I had on hand, and I left the apples unpeeled and julienned them rather than grated them. Have I raved enough about this burger yet? It was just delicious!

This was also the first time I've cooked with ground pork (aside from, you know, sausage), and I was so pleased with the flavor. I'm definitely going to look for more pork burger recipes in the future!

I think you should all try this burger right away. It's summery and simple and absolutely stuffed with flavor. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Jerk Pork Cheeseburgers with Green Apple Slaw
Source: adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray

2 granny smith apples, julienned
Grated peel of 1 lemon plus 1 1/2 tablespoons juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped chives
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
8 slices applewood smoked bacon
4 thin slices cheddar cheese
4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted

1. In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the lemon peel and juice. Add the mayonnaise, chives, 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/2 tablespoon jerk seasoning; stir to combine; refrigerate.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 1/2 tablespoons jerk seasoning. Add the ground pork and combine. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties, pressing your thumb in the center of each to prevent it from bulging.

3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving the skillet with the drippings. Cover the bacon with foil to keep warm.

4. Heat the bacon drippings over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add the pork patties and cook for 4 minutes; flip, lower the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes more. Lower the heat to low and top each patty with a slice of cheese; cover the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted and the patties are cooked through, about 2 minutes more.

5. Place a pork patty on each toasted roll bottom; top with 2 bacon slices, a quarter of the apple slaw and a roll top.

5 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

I bet that green apple slaw was incredible! What a clever idea!

Donna-FFW said...

I know many poeple dont enjoy RR, but I do and she really has some terrific burgers. Have you ever tried her adirondack one? Its yummy. This sounds delectable also. You should submit it to the ERR blog. Looks fantastic!

Keri said...

You know, I've never used ground pork for burgers, either, but it sounds delicious. I can't wait to try these. I'm amassing quite the collection of recipes to try from your site:-)!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Good Morning!
I have a little award waiting for you over at my blog :)

Anonymous said...

Wish I'd seen this earlier. I plan to make these tonight after finding the recipe on Rachel Ray's website. Her recipe says to use 5 1/2 lb of pork for 4 burgers!!! I knew that was not correct so I used the 2 lb of pork I had ready. The amount of seasonings in the recipe doesn't seem to be very much. We'll see! (I got 6 burger patties out of 2 lb of pork.