Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Strawberry Pretzel Squares

This recipe has been around forever. My aunt used to make this sweet treat for all of our family get-togethers, and I haven't had it since she passed away four years ago. So when I saw it pop up on Carrie's blog, it immediately sparked a craving. A neighbor recently brought us over a bunch of his home-grown strawberries, and this treat was the perfect way to use them up. It was absolutely just as good as I remembered. You just can't beat that salty/sweet/creamy combination!

Strawberry Pretzel Squares
Source: Kraft Foods

2 cups finely crushed pretzels
1/2 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
2 cups boiling water
1 (6 ounce) package JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 quart (4 cups) strawberries, sliced

1. Heat oven to 350°.

2. Mix pretzel crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and butter. Press onto bottom of 13x9-inch pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.

3. Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar and milk until blended. Stir in Cool Whip; spread over crust. Refrigerate.

4. Add boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl; stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate 1 1/2 hours or until thickened (spoon drawn through leaves definite impression). Stir in strawberries; spoon over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.

4 comments:

Lisa K said...

I love these. A few years back I made those all the time. I need to make them again!

Anonymous said...

MMmmm. I'm glad you posted this, I have been curious since I saw your twitter about it!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive never heard of these before, but am very intrigued! They sound heavenly! Great photo!

Debbie said...

Oh I remember this from years ago. I have not had it in a very long time! Thanks for posting this. I want to make this sometime soon.