Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Ohio Style" Corn Dogs

I made homemade corn dogs for dinner last night. Oh yes I did. And they were delicious -- much better than anything from a box, and just as good as the corn dogs at the fair. I served them with tater tots. I felt like I was 12 years old.

But I didn't really care, because they were so good. And they were very, very easy. I don't think I'll ever feed Andrew frozen ones when making them from scratch is so simple! I don't know what exactly it is that makes them "Ohio style," but that's what the recipe said. And this is a cookbook full of recipes written by grandmas, and grandmas are never wrong! (They certainly weren't wrong about these corn dogs. Very, very tasty, no matter what state they were from!)

"Ohio Style" Corn Dogs

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Dash of pepper
10 to 16 hot dogs (we used 5 bun-length hot dogs, and had just a little bit of batter left over)
Wooden skewers
Vegetable oil for deep frying

1. In a bowl, mix first ten ingredients. Pour mixture into a tall glass.

2. Skewer hot dogs with wooden skewers; dip in mixture. Deep fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

5 comments:

Lisa K said...

That sounds delicious! I've been wanting to make homemade doughnuts. I should bring the deep fryer out and do corn dogs and doughnuts. And then diet.

Anonymous said...

Well that sounds very yummy and all, but not everyone has a deep fryer laying around. What a shame.

Cassie said...

Patty, I didn't even use a deep-fryer. I used a large skillet (and one deep enough to cover the corn dogs when I dropped them in the oil) and it worked just fine! DO NOT let the lack of a deep fryer stop you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, interesting! I really have no expereince deep frying. How hot does the oil need to be? I'm terrified of of grease fires and getting burnt with splattered oil. (feel free to e-mail if you don't want to comment your own blog lol)

Cassie said...

The oil should be about 375 degrees. A good way to tell when it's hot enough is by sticking a wooden spoon in the center of the skillet, and if bubbles appear around it, the oil is ready. I think Rachael Ray taught me that?

I'm not a big fan of deep frying things myself, since all that oil goes to waste and I never know how to dispose of it. But let me tell you, these corn dogs were worth it! (Hopefully my dislike for deep frying things will keep me from making them too often, because they are SO not healthy.)