Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crock Pot Coq Au Vin

I love a good Crock pot dinner, especially in the middle of winter when the wind is howling and the snow is falling and the air is frigid and I need to be warmed up from the inside out. And that's exactly what this meal did.

I've been wanting to make coq au vin for a while now, and while this recipe takes a lot of liberties with the dish, it was still absolutely delicious. The wine added a subtle tangy quality to the dish, the bacon made it smoky, the mushrooms made it earthy, and the onions kept it a little bit sweet. It was the perfect balance of flavors. Next time, I'd make a few changes; I'd add carrots for a bit more sweetness, and at least one more clove of garlic. Though the boneless breasts actually turned out to be pretty tender, I might even try making this with bone-in chicken pieces and increase the cooking time a bit. I'll definitely make this again. When it comes to simplicity and comfort, the Crock pot just can't be beat!

Crock Pot Coq Au Vin

4 slices thick-cut bacon
2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)
1/2 cup dry red wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1. Cook bacon in medium skillet over medium heat. Drain and crumble. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the following order: onions, bacon, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, pepper, chicken, wine and broth. Cover and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.

2. Remove chicken and vegetables; cover and keep warm. Ladle 1/2 cup cooking liquid into small bowl; allow to cool slightly. Turn slow cooker to High; cover. Mix reserved liquid, tomato paste and flour until smooth. Return sauce mixture to slow cooker; cover and cook 15 minutes or until thickened.

2 comments:

Monica H said...

I made this a couple nights ago and it was SO good. I took your advice and added more garlic and carrots. loved it. thanks for the recipe!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm over from Monica's.

I've got this going into the slow cooker. Unfortunately, I'm not adding in the bacon this time around. :(
~ingrid