Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Breakfast Quesadillas

Every once in a while, our cafeteria at work serves breakfast quesadillas, and I always get one because I'm a sucker for quesadillas. In my opinion, anything slathered with sour cream and salsa tastes good, but the quesadillas themselves are always pretty bland. When I stumbled across this recipe for breakfast quesadillas, it seemed like a natural choice for me to try. Plus, it gave me the opportunity to use my Christmas present for the first time!

These were delicious! I made a few changes to the recipe, which I've highlighted in purple below. Joe really liked them, too, so I'm sure I'll be making them again!

Breakfast Quesadillas

1/3 pound bulk pork sausage (I used spicy sausage)
6 eggs
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons half-and-half (I didn't have any, so I used 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream)
1 package taco seasoning mix (I substituted 1 tablespoon of Emeril's Southwest seasoning)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (I used a dash of dried; it would have been better with fresh, but I didn't have any)
2 tablespoons chopped tomato
1 can chopped green chiles (I omitted because I thought it would be too spicy with the hot sausage and pepper-jack cheese, but I'll add them next time I make these)
1 package flour tortillas, burrito size
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese (I used pepper-jack cheese)

1. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned and no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet; drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, lightly beat eggs, sour cream, half-and-half and seasoning mix with wire whisk until well-blended.

2. In a separate nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add egg mixture; cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is very moist. Stir in cooked sausage, chives, cilantro, the tomato and chiles. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until egg mixture is set but still moist. Remove from heat.

3. Place tortillas on work surface. Top half of each tortilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons egg mixture; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of each of the cheeses. Fold untopped half of tortillas over egg mixture.

4. Heat a 12-inch skillet (or griddle) over medium heat. Place quesadillas in skillet; cook 30 to 45 seconds on each side or until crisp and lightly browned. Remove from skillet; place on serving plate. Cut each quesadilla into wedges. Top with chives, salsa, sour cream, or avocado, if desired.

1 comment:

Lisa K said...

This is my kind of meal! I love breakfast foods!