Monday, January 26, 2009

Basil Tortellini Soup

Since the other recipe I made out of this special edition magazine didn't work out so well, I decided I'd make another one just for good measure. I don't want this "cookbook" to get a bad rap, because there really are lots of delicious recipes in it. And this soup is one of them.

Screw traditional chicken noodle soup; whenever I'm sick from now on, this is the soup I'm making for myself. It's so simple and so tasty. And let me tell you, it was so nice to work with fresh basil; the scent of it brought a little bit of summer into my kitchen, as the snow continued to fall outside. I was worried this soup would be underseasoned, but it wasn't. The balsamic vinegar adds a nice depth of flavor, and I love that the recipe calls for fresh tomatoes. It looked so pretty, bubbling away on the stove:

This soup was quick, simple, and delicious...my kind of food!

Basil Tortellini Soup
Source: Taste of Homes Recipe Card Collection (special edition magazine); also found here

4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
1/3 to 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add tortellini; cook until tender, about 6 minutes.

2. Stir in the beans, tomato and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve with cheese.

No comments: