Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chicken with Black Pepper, Bourbon and Peach Sauce

Finally, after two and a half months of caring for my son, I'm back in the kitchen full time, and I couldn't be happier about it! When I planned my menu last week, I made sure I had a mixture of old favorites, new recipes, and a couple of my own creations on it. The first of those "creations": chicken with black pepper-bourbon-peach sauce. It just sounded good, and in the end it tasted just as good as it sounded. The black pepper balanced the sweetness of the bourbon and the peach preserves perfectly, and it was such a refreshing dish to eat on a hot summer evening. The chicken could just as easily have been cooked on the grill and the sauce turned into a glaze for basting, but my husband was too lazy to fire the grill up the night we had this. I served the chicken with garden-fresh asparagus the way I always make it: steamed, then tossed with butter and tons of pepper. This was a delicious meal!


Chicken with Black Pepper, Bourbon and Peach Sauce
Source: Cassie

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter
2 small shallots, chopped
1 cup bourbon
3 tablespoons peach preserves
2 teaspoons black pepper

1. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in olive oil in a medium skillet until chicken is brown and the juices run clear. Set chicken aside to rest.

2. In the same skillet, saute the shallots in the butter until they just begin to caramelize. Remove skillet from heat, add bourbon, and let cook over medium heat until alcohol cooks out and bourbon is reduced by about half. Add peach preserves and black pepper and cook until heated through.

3. Slice chicken and top with sauce.

No comments: